A crown is a type of dental restoration used to restore a tooth that is severely damaged or decayed. Dental crowns can restore the health, function and appearance of the tooth. If a filling is large and breaking down, a crown may be indicated. Ultimately, this can restore the tooth to its original shape, size and color.
Do I need a dental crown?
You may need a dental crown if a tooth is damaged beyond what can be effectively restored using a dental filling. Crowns are used for a variety of purposes; our experienced dentists may recommend a dental crown in order to:
- Support a tooth with a large dental filling when little original tooth structure remains
- Enhance the beauty of your smile
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Restore a significantly damaged or decayed tooth
- Improve the function and appearance of an irregularly shaped tooth
- Protect a tooth following root canal therapy
- Strengthen a fractured or weakened tooth